I have many flu doses here at the clinic reserved for my family practice patients. Please email or call for an appointment–we reserve spots at the end of the day to do entire families all together. Public health strongly encourages everyone to get a flu shot since the flu season runs right until the end of March. It’s not too late to get a flu shot!!!
As many of you have learned, the first Covid vaccines have arrived in B.C. It will be several more months until they are generally available, but I will let you know how/when they are as soon as I know!
Here is a summary:
PRIORITY VACCINE GROUPS
Public health will arrange for the following priority groups to get the vaccine. No action is required on your part.
FIRST PRIORITY GROUPS
- Long-term care residents and staff
- Health-care facility staff for COVID-19 patients in settings like Intensive Care Units, COVID-19 wards and emergency departments
- Indigenous people living in rural or remote communities
- High risk people living in group settings like shelters
- People over 80 years old
SECOND PRIORITY GROUPS
In spring 2021 as more vaccine becomes available, a second phase of vaccination will begin for:
- Older people under age 80 in descending five-year-age groups, with a focus on the oldest people first
- Key frontline workers including:
- Healthcare workers
- Fire and first responders
- People working in grocery stores
- People working in transportation
- People working in manufacturing and production facilities
The ordering of priority groups is based on recommendations from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization.
GENERAL POPULATION TIMELINE
Following all priority groups, all others in B.C. can get the vaccine as it becomes available.
A registration and record system is in development, including a process to register for vaccine access and to receive a formal record of immunization.
- There is no need to call your local health authority at this time
Everyone the vaccine is recommended for in B.C. will have the opportunity to get the vaccine by the end of 2021.
Reminder: Provincial Health Officer (PHO) orders and guidelines remain in place for everyone, regardless if they have received the vaccine.